In 2021, Toronto Hydro filed a Climate Action Plan (PDF, 9.4 MB) with the City of Toronto, outlining how we can help support the City's Net Zero Strategy. As part of Toronto Hydro's ongoing commitment to climate action, we've signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City to support its net-zero vision. Read our latest Climate Action Plan Status Report (PDF, 3.2 MB).
As a clean energy leader in the city and nationally, Toronto Hydro is committed to bold, practical and equitable climate action. We're a proud supporter of the City's net-zero vision and are committed to doing our part to help address the climate emergency.
On April 7, 2021, Toronto City Council approved recommendations from the City Manager's Office requesting that Toronto Hydro prepare an action plan for how we could further support the City’s net-zero vision.
In particular, the City asked us to explore what more we could do in the following areas of climate action:
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure
- Modernization of outdoor lighting/streetlighting
- Renewable energy and energy storage
- Building electrification and energy efficiency
- Non-rate sources of funding
Our climate action goals
To meet the City’s ambitious net-zero vision, we’ve developed an innovative Climate Action Plan focused on achieving the following goals:
Delivering nationally significant greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions.
Stimulating and facilitating the local cleantech economy.
Advancing social equity in Toronto.
Our climate action focus areas
Our Climate Action Plan identifies several options for how Toronto Hydro can help support a net-zero future for Toronto, including:
- Investing up to $10 billion by 2050 to build a grid that's capable of supporting the City's net-zero vision. This significant investment in our grid would enable increased electrification of major sectors of our economy, such as transportation and buildings, which is an essential step for getting Toronto to net zero.
- Creating a new Climate Advisory Services business that will work directly with customers — free of charge — to encourage and help them find personalized, sustainable energy solutions tailored to their needs. Under this model, Toronto Hydro will act as a trusted partner with its customers, local cleantech companies, governments and other stakeholders to help remove barriers and enable projects in Toronto that electrify buildings and transportation, build renewable generation capacity, and enhance energy efficiency.